Thursday, May 2, 2013

Zipper Boo-boos and Rednecks

Oh, I'm sick to death of pants, I tell ya'! Look at this beautiful invisible zipper I installed today....wait, are those the front pockets on either side of the zipper?




Yes, since there are no side seams yet, I got messed up and sewed the 2 front sides together. Took 25 minutes to unpick. Then I did it the right way...


And discovered that I've cut them a little off-grain, or twisted them when I was sewing the inner leg seams and princess seams.


Note that the princess seams are heading off to the side when they hit my knees. And again with the baggy rear-end, despite making that great alteration.


So in deep depression, as expected, I pulled out this fabric to make a skirt from Butterick 4399. Here's my previous one with contrasting zip. I'm opting for the tangerine zipper for this one.


I'll try to finish those pants as best I can when the depression lets up.

And in other news, did you hear that the Blue Collar Comedy guys are opening an amusement park right next door in Foley?! Bring the kids, drop 'em off, and let's get together for some sewin'. Now you've got an excuse to come to Alabama for Sandra Betzina's yearly class! (I'm feelin' better already.)

7 comments:

BeckyW said...

Sorry to hear that I'm not the only one that suffers from sewing depression at times.

I'm not going to make the Sandra class this year. I might try to make the trunk show.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Do you knit, Becky? I like having some other crafty thing to fall back on when sewing makes me sad. I'm not going to class either, since our Japan trip is at the same time. I'm toying with the idea of having a girls' sewing weekend, though...might you be interested???

BeckyW said...

I don't knit much. I've made a scarf or two. I did it while waiting in carpool line or at TaeKwonDo, but I usually have trouble keeping up with stitches if it is complicated. I used to crochet and cross stitch. I've not done much of either of those since kids. I'm trying to get back into my sewing. I'm slowly working on a jacket for my son. Yes, it is going to be hot as the sun as soon as I finish, but I am determined to finish it before I start something else.

I think a sewing weekend would be fun. I'd love to do that. I've toyed with the idea of doing the sewing guild thing that meets at All About Sewing. I think it meets on Thursday nights, but that is my league tennis night right now.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Wow - a jacket! That is the pinnacle of sewing, I think. We'll have to see a picture. I'll keep you posted on the sewing weekend - I'm hoping for sometime this summer...

BeckyW said...

I'll try to take a better photo of it and post a review on Pattern Review later. He wore it this morning. We drove over to Lucedale for him to run in a 5K. He wore it while standing around before the race started. I've been too scared to work on it. We went to LA and visited Mood Fabrics while there last summer. I've been working on it on and off all winter. He had asked me to buy him some fabric to make him something while we were there. My daughter and I were going nuts over all the silks. All I could find that looked manly and that I thought I could do something with was a piece of olive green and black plaid men's suiting. I'm sure he is the only little boy in 3 states with a wool/cashmere, silk lined jacket. I forced myself to stay up last night and finish it. Today is probably the last cold day we will have. I made it kind of big and left plenty of extra length in the sleeves that I can re-hem and extend later.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Okay - WOW! Gotta see that! What's your handle on PR so I can watch for it?