I finished the fluorescent tankini last night at 10:30 PM. I spent more time on this one altering the pattern - view B. I'll save most of the gory details for the review...eventually.
Here's an upclose of the topstitching (get your sunglasses). I did the triple zigzag this time around because the regular zigzag looked kind of childish and homemade on the blue tank. All my RTW have a double-needle finish, but I'm scared to try that since my previous double needle with wooly nylon bobbin attempts have been less than stellar. And just how do you thread wooly nylon in a serger, by the way? Seems like it would be so fluffy...
Here we go. So the PR'ers who made this said the crotch was too wide, and I narrowed it just a bit, but obviously it could be way narrower, to get rid of the wrinkles. We'll see if it starts sagging too much in the water...may need to redo the legs.
Hmmm, some thoughts: Pink shows every bump - the blue suit hid a bunch of stuff. (Oh wait, the blue suit was too big around the midriff and didn't even touch me - that may be why there are no bumps and bulges!) I always have thought that this halter style de-emphasized my pearishness, but I could be wrong.
And here's the big news - I left the bra cups upstairs, so these pictures are with no padding! Woohoo! The tank flattened me out, but this style is supportive with elastic under the bust. I did leave out the contrast band since I didn't have any fabric, and I eliminated the upper back, since I did something special...
Ta-da! I copied another tankini I have that used this ring on the back, and cut that fabric up as a pattern piece to sew this in. Of course, this being me, I ran out of my pink thread on the VERY LAST topstitch around the bust elastic (God took pity on me, as usual), so the ring thread is a little too dark, but whatever.
So, it's off to Lake Martin to test-swim the 2 suits, and we'll see who goes to the Blue Angels. I did wash the blue one already, and nothing's come undone, so that's promising!