Saturday, July 18, 2009

Why Didn't I Think of That?



Lucas was quite clever in figuring out a way to swing when nobody was around to push him! Drew tried it, but he weighs too much to get any momentum when Jake grabs the rope.

I'm happy they're outside playing these days. For a couple of days there, our TV and computer were running nonstop while the babysitter watched soap operas or texted friends and I could almost smell the brain rot when I came home every day. So we put our collective foot down and declared No More Screen Time!

The next day I came home to Lucas in his bathing suit with the hose pulled up in the fort and pointed down the slide. He was flying out and landing in the mud, so he had to work out a way to come down slower. Drew had taken several big boards and hammered up a new room under the fort complete with old patio chairs and a table. He told me he used 12 nails - I don't think that'll meet hurricane standards, but they're not load-bearing walls anyway. They also figured out it was fun to spray each other on the swing, so I don't think the TV was even missed.

It reminds me of the song, "If I Had a Hammer" by Tennessee Ernie Ford, or someone from HeeHaw like Archie Campbell (BAM! Who's got Mad Cow now???):
If I had a hammer, I'd hammer in the mornin'.
I'd hammer in the evenin', all across this land.
Or, well, you know, something like that.