Thursday, June 18, 2009

Out of Lemonade


These boys decided last night to sell some books. They spent about an hour and a half going through Drew's bookshelf and working on pricing and signage. I pulled out a few to keep (you just CAN'T sell Shel Silverstein - he's classic!) and set them free the next day. I helped carry out the big table, but the rest was all them. Drew set up quite a nice display I think, though early on I thought it looked more like a chair sale. Before you get all mad at how hot and miserable they look, let me say that I suggested a shady spot, provided them with a big umbrella, filled up thermoses of ice water, and even provided a pitcher of ice water and styrofoam cups to offer their customers. Drew suggested selling ice water for $1 but I taught him that if your customers are comfortable and happy, they'll browse longer and possibly buy something. A nice neighbor told Drew he should only give ice water to people who buy 2 books or more.

They stayed out about 2 hours, attracted a friend from around the corner who wanted to hang out, and made $6.50 (prices ranged from 25 cents to $1.75). After they paid the friend $1 for helping bring it all in and letting them play with his electric scooter between customers, they netted $2.50 for Lucas and $3.00 for Drew. Tough work for the money. Maybe we'll check into Ebay - less risk of dehydration!

4 comments:

Junior said...

I hope "Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs" was not in there (you know there's a movie coming out based on that book somewhat).
Those boys are super resourceful! What are they planning to purchase with their earnings?

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Oh heck no - that's my favorite book! There's not a lot you can buy with $3 these days - I think they're saving up. More book sales to come when the weather cools off.

Jester said...

I know what they're saving up to buy......a damned store-bought Teddy Bear!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Who asked ya'!!!!