Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My First Teddy Bear






Lucas and I are proud to announce the arrival of our first homemade teddy bear. He has no name yet, and he is very pitiful. As my mother pointed out (in a constructive fashion), he appears to be hand-sewn (though I did a good bit on the machine) and I did not use matching thread. It's my first attempt - I was in a hurry and pink is what was in the machine. Then that ran out so I grabbed blue. I personally think his head's too big for his body, but he is precious to me and I love him anyway. It was a pattern I found on the web from some French person, who referred to knots as "nods" and introduced me to a section I never knew existed at Hobby Lobby: doll joints. You read that right - his arms and legs move and his head even turns. (I know, I know...Superwoman!) And seeing how he's so tiny but I bought enough fur for a larger bear pattern that I started out with, it looks like all the cousins will get bears for their birthdays and any upcoming holidays!

I also see now why I never had any romantic pictures taken with my newborn babies wearing nothing while I wear a white gown and gaze at them with an awed expression - I was going for that here but it came out looking quite vacuous. Not invoking "what an angel the Lord hath blessed me with" but "Yuk yuk! Looky-here what I done got!" (the latter spoken in Goofy's voice)

5 comments:

Junior said...

The second picture almost could be a squirrel but he looks better in the other pictures. Did you stuff him with love & make a wish like they do at Build-A-Bear?
So does he officially belong to you or Lucas?
Very nice work!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

No, I stuffed him with fiberfill and then made a DRINK!
He's Lucas's - he slept with him the first night but seems to have forgotten about him since he's still sitting here at the computer since yesterday.
Dean pointed out that before he got his ears he looked like the gopher in Caddyshack. (I'm...duh duh duh IIIII'mmm alllll-right)

Jester said...

Seriously, now I know why bears eat their young.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

It's a shame your mother didn't eat her firstborn.

Junior said...

HA HA HA!!!! Now that's just funny!