Saturday, December 13, 2008

Oh Christmas Tree...Silent Night






The boys and I got the tree today while Dean was working. I sawed off some lower branches using the handsaw (I was tempted to use that electric thing, but Drew can't drive yet and I'd probably exsanguinate before the ambulance arrived), and Drew helped me get it straight in the stand and carry it in the house. We had Christmas music playing while we decorated it and it was a very lovely time. The only thing missing this year was the yelling!

I know anybody with a spouse must go through this every Christmas if you get a live tree: toting it in while it's dropping needles everywhere and crashing into furniture that your spouse didn't get out of the way, getting it into the stand which your spouse has put in the wrong spot, holding it straight while your spouse dinks around and takes too long with the screws on the stand, etc., etc. Maybe you take turns being the one who's competent in this situation vs. the nincompoop, but I have to play the nincompoop every year. So this year I cast Drew in that role.

I only took a nasty tone once. I gouged my finger really good when the tree guy shoved it in the car with my help, so both boys were nauseous on the way home because I showed them the flap of skin that came up by my cuticle (I didn't even cry). I went to the sink to wash my finger and asked the boys to get me a bandaid. Lucas ran to his bathroom and came back saying, "I'm weally sowwy Mom, but I'm out of bandaids." Drew is just sitting there, so I ask him, and he says, "Yes, I have bandaids." Still sitting there....HELLLOOOOOO! I said in a very acid tone, "Well I'm standing here dripping blood in the sink - any speed you can muster to go get me a bandaid would be much appreciated." What's with these 12-year-olds?

Anyway, it was a very peaceful Christmas-type atmosphere and Drew helped with the lights while Lucas put on the star, plus Dean was very happy to have avoided that whole scene, so Joy to the World!

3 comments:

Junior said...

Now if you just had video of that it would be precious....what A Christmas Story! ;)

Momma said...

I have to tell you that Jim's parents loved your Christmas card with the photo of the boys. Dad Spires said that Lucas always makes him smile. He reminds me a lot of my dad, almost always has that devilish twinkle in his eyes.

Junior said...

everytime I see Jake I keep expecting him to say "Roll that beautiful bean footage"