Sunday, May 24, 2015

Alabama Chanin on Call

By that, I mean that I'm on call so we can't go to the beach, but it was quiet enough to get some sewing in - yay! First I ran to Books-a-Million to get the 4th and final AC book.

Now I've been working on my AC couched skirt again because I'm at an impasse on my knitted lacy top - the sleeves have to decrease 2 stitches every 8th row in the lace pattern, which apparently involves drawing your own chart, which I've never done, so I'm stuck. Any help there? The up side of the dilemma is that I was forced to stop knitting and start sewing again, so I'm now halfway through the second panel of my 4-panel skirt I started last summer. Now the ADHD-sewing thing kicked in, plus my sewing buddy Robbie and I were planning to have an airbrushing session soon, so I needed ideas for something ELSE to work on! That took me upstairs to look at fabric, and I decided to try the T-shirt pattern from her third book, I believe. But I read that the fourth book had all the patterns plus a few extra, so I got it first.

I have to admit I was a little disappointed in the new book, Alabama Studio Sewing Patterns. There are only 2 or 3 new patterns (wrap skirt, a VERY blousy dress, and maybe one other thing I'm blanking on), and there are NO embellished items. The third book was my favorite because of all the eye candy with the sequins, beads, fur, etc., but this one is more about how to alter all the patterns, and it's very basic stuff. Plus, the patterns are all on a CD and you have to print them out yourself, or take them to a printer - bleh! You can order the paper patterns extra for $30. Oh well, back to the fabric. I found this slightly stretchy knit that I think I bought in Japan, and decided to test the T-shirt pattern on something else first to get the fit right before I make a shirt out of this.


Cue the XXL t-shirt I bought at an outlet center.


I decided to keep the Gator - maybe we'll go to a game this year....yeah, I doubt it.


Had a couple of these orange shirts donated to me, and this makes great sleeves that are hemmed already.


Well, hot damn at the fit! This is my first AC garment with sleeves, and I am pleased!


Still need to make the swayback adjustment...


and I haven't bound the neckline yet...orange or blue? I was planning on using white thread with a cretin stitch on orange or blue binding, but Drew thought that sounded weird, even though I explained that they don't make those colors in button craft thread. He suggested I use regular thread, but I kind of like the contrast with my white-felled seams on the shoulders and armholes.


Well, obviously I need to loosen it just a bit for work, but we'll see if I can get this done in that Japanese fabric. Then of course to the original plan of airbrushing some cotton for aNOther shirt....or skirt...curse this ADHD sewing! Hey, how was YOUR weekend?

9 comments:

Junior said...

That top turned out precious!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Well thank you, Precious!

Anonymous said...

It is cute! And it does fit well. I spent the weekend drooling over AC stuff and looking at all the cotton knit in my stash.

Robbie

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Well that was time well spent, Robbie! I pored over each book for half the day before I settled on the Tshirt. Stuff's addictive.....

BeckyW said...

The fit really did turn out great. Will be great to have a tried-n-true pattern for a T-shirt. I love the orange sleeves.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Yes - finally a shirt that fits in the shoulders and sleeves - I'm so happy!!!

BeckyW said...

I remember you struggling with your shoulders and sleeves. Now you can use that pattern to adjust anything you want. How cool.

Pam said...

A-dor-a-ble shirt. I love it. I might go with the blue. I agree the white thread adds something.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Thanks Pam! Will post when I get the blue binding finished...and continuing ADHD sewing, I just cut out the Japanese fabric....