Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Knitting with the Sewing Machine

So here's the magazine where I read the article by Eunny Jang about seaming knitted things with your sewing machine. They also tell you how to insert a zipper (are you kidding me?) and a button band! Good stuff...
.
And here're a couple of things I did with the Betzina pants muslin. I didn't get the invisible side-seam zipper in evenly since I just slapped it together and basted (I rarely pin anymore).


So I took my double-sided tape Sandra told me to use last time she was in Mobile, and put it on the zipper tape...


Then laid the fabric right where I wanted it. I did a few stitches right here, then sewed the whole thing up lickety-split.


So here comes the zipper...


And now you cover it with the button band - neat!


And now some gratuitous shots of my new dishrag. I just love closeups of knitting! And also a serged seam pressed flat...


And finally, the finished product. I still do have that little wrinkle below the right waistband that I think is related to my swayback adjustment, since it disappears if I lift the waistband slightly.


This cotton will not take a dry press, but I think all the wrinkles will be gone after a wash and press. I'm deliriously happy with the crotch fit. (And no, I wouldn't wear these shoes with these shorts, but I haven't gotten to wear them since I bought them, so I was just having some fun.)


One PR reviewer complained about the inadequate pockets, but I think if it holds almost an entire iPhone 5 (which is also purple - can you see it?), it's a pretty darn good pocket. Definitely will hold an ID, credit card, and cash.


Although I guess I would stab myself if I sat down with a pen in my pocket. I'll have to think about that when I make the pants...

No comments: