Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Camping at DeSoto




Mercy, it's been awhile! To update you, that kid never came back to karate - guess he's getting tutored at school. I just hope his mom called that doctor.

I've been blogging in my head for weeks now, and you have missed some good stuff! We had a camping trip to DeSoto State Park that was just awesome....if you like freezing temperatures and constant drizzling, that is. Luckily, Elizabeth thought ahead and booked a cabin for us the second night - phew! Between my ankle cramps and Tracey's claustrophobia, it would've been hard to stay in that tent again!

I was almost asleep (well I wouldn't call it that really, I was just burrowed down in my sleeping bag wondering if I could stay there comfortably for 8 more hours) when I realized something was wrong with both ankles - they felt really tight. Tracey DID say that the thermal socks she loaned me squeezed her ankles, but this was ridiculous! I finally realized that the muscles going to my outside ankle bones (lateral malleolus, that is to say) had spasmed - much like a toe spasm, if you've ever had one of those. (Have you ever had one? They're so much fun to share with the kids - how does that toe BEND like that??? - but so excruciatingly painful!)

Anyway, I am marveling at the power of the ankle cramp and in awe that it happened bilaterally simultaneously (both at the same time, that is), and I realize I have to break it, so I bend down to rub the muscles. Now it hits me that I'm bent almost double in a zipped-up sleeping bag, and I have a moment of panic when I can't see the opening and realize I'm WAY in over my head - AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I fight to the surface, twisted feet be damned, and take a gulp of ice-cold air - ah. I can breathe. (Doesn't Robert Plant sing that - I can BREEE-EEEathe again)

Whew, I have to get a glass of wine. Retelling that was emotionally draining. On to the Saudi Arabian dinner host later...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

DESOTO????? I would have shot over and visited you for a day!!!!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Where do you live? Huntsville? Next time I'll call! (We could've sat by your fireplace instead of walking around K-mart trying to stay warm.)