Monday, September 19, 2016

T-shirt Rug, Reunion Weekend, Black Sweater Done!

So here's the rug I crocheted from 14 or 15 T-shirts in the beach bathroom - looks right at home, and I'm so proud of it! I can throw it in the washer, unlike the rug that was in there before.


And my 5 college roommates came down for our annual reunion weekend, which we rotate around to each person's house. Next year we're all turning 50, so we're going to Chicago to celebrate. This year was low-key, especially with the monsoons that blew through every hour all weekend. We had exactly 4 hours without rain on Saturday, so we boated over to a marina for lunch (I successfully docked the boat at a public marina for the first time - yay!), then took a boat ride and watched some of the wakeboard championship that was going on nearby.


Then we came back, and 3 people jumped in a kayak, 1 person went to pick up steamed seafood for dinner (God bless people who enjoy cooking!), and 2 of us jumped in floats with margaritas. Not 30 minutes later, somebody yelled that a storm was moving in from the Gulf, so Durema and I swam madly for the ladder and had to fight to hold our floats, because it was like a tiny hurricane coming. You could see the wall of rain and hear it coming, and as soon as we stood up on the dock it hit. The other 3 were running across the yard with the kayaks, then realized they were on the porch but they're margaritas were on the dock, so of course they sprinted back to us. About 5 minutes later it was all over with - crazy!


We did get to eat most of our dinner outside that night and stayed fairly dry, although Friday night we had eaten under an umbrella at The Gulf, and 3 of us were pelted with blowing rain against our backs for 10 minutes, so we left that dinner with soaking hair and clothes. Still good times, though!

So on to the final pics of the black mesh sweater, which I started in January, 2015, I kid you not. Remember I knit one sleeve inside out and screwed them both up good by not using a chart? So Heidi at Mobile Yarn set the sleeves up in a chart on Knit Companion (go take a class from her - so worth it!), and I redid both sleeves, learning to use double-point needles in the process. Knit Companion keeps track of how long the app is open, so I know that the sleeves took just over 23 hours to knit - ridiculous! But look how cute it is! Just need to block it and stretch the sleeves out, because I want them a touch longer.


And I think I need to wear collared shirts with no sleeves underneath, since this may look too much like a bra underneath it - what do you think? It's really a tank top.


So the most exciting news is that this monkey is finally off my back, so I will be starting a new "split-neck" sweater that can be worn alone, and I'm treating myself to a private lesson at Mobile Yarn to learn how to knit 2 socks at once on a circular needle - woot woot!

So my thought for the day/week/month/year is that life is too short not to enjoy something special EVERY day, so figure out what that is, and DO IT! Shia LeBeouf really does say it best, and I get a good laugh every time I watch this. I love that boy:

2 comments:

Sheila said...

You did a great job with the rug. Loving the sweater. With Fall here and a smidgeon of cool temps... just maybe I can pull out my crochet hooks.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Thanks, Sheila! I'm so jealous of you living in a place where you can actually wear what you knit or crochet a good part of the year...although I guess I wouldn't trade the beach for the snow!