Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A Draping Class and Waiting Rooms

Man, I hate posts without pictures, but I just don't have one. So my question is has anyone taken a draping class? I got an email from Craftsy today - seriously, they are the drug dealer of the sewing world, are they not? I mean, I'm up to my crotch in pants class and now they bring up draping?! (Which would have been so cool to do with my Mardi Gras dress, seriously.)

So I was considering it, then I read about it and realized I don't even know how to make a sloper, etc., then I read this post at Shop the Garment District, and that kind of pushed me over the edge. I think I'm going to sign up unless any of you have had a terrible experience with it.

Okay, and now can I tell you how much I hate doctor's waiting rooms? I'm a private person, so I don't think this is the spot to make friends. (I'm also hateful on airplanes, if you were wondering.) So today Lucas got his full set of braces, and I brought my knitting for the 1.5 hour wait. I was the only one there till this couple from out of town brings their daughter in, who is also apparently there for a couple of hours. The staff told them they could leave and come back at lunch, but they didn't know where to go and didn't want to burn gas, so they sat down RIGHT NEXT TO ME. (An empty waiting room is like an elevator to me - why would you get next to someone?) Inside I'm burning with anger, then I realized they were staring at me. The lady asked me if I could crochet something big like a sweater, or just small like a towel. Well my little crafty personality overruled the haughty loner (I'm not the only one with multiple personalities, am I?), and we proceeded to chat about sewing and knitting for the next hour. Her husband went and sat in the truck, which made it instantly less creepy. I found out her aunt worked at the Vanity Fair plant her whole life and owned 2 or 3 sergers, and her step-mother sewed her wedding dress, but this lady was just learning to sew and was looking for knitting classes. I gave her links for the sewing shops in Mobile, Pattern Review, and generally schooled her on the merits of YouTube when learning a new craft.

So that turned out to be a nice experience, but then we had to go to the pediatrician. Now THIS lady with her 2 twin girls was sitting across from us and put one of them in her lap, saying, "I love you so much. I love you. Do you know that? I just love holding you." Okay, instant creepiness, and I'm thinking the authorities may need to get involved. I pointedly ignored her (while appearing obsessed with knitting), but Lucas looked at her and reported that she was staring back at him the whole time. She then starts laughing really loudly and telling them to count chairs, etc. When they finally were called back, Lucas leaned over and told me how creepy he thought she was. Seems he shares my feeling that one should not perform for others in a waiting room.

Well, I guess this wasn't as bad as the lady at the dentist's office talking on her cell phone about a dead body the police had just found....

4 comments:

Junior said...

What an adventure! I try to adjust my body language to deter being chatted up in a waiting room. Or I just poot really loud.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Oh, I have no doubt that you do! And your mother will be so proud!!!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Oh, that reminded me of Mrs. Hughes. Remember she told us if anybody ever stared at her she just acted like she was picking her nose...

Junior said...

She gave good advice!