Sunday, August 27, 2017

August Update...and My New Mission from God

Random shot of downtown Mobile at night - police patrol on horseback! Very cool.


We also went to the Journey concert at The Wharf in Orange Beach with friends, and this is in the ladies' restroom at a cigar bar - love it!


Since Drew had a job as a waiter all summer (thank you, God), we didn't take a big vacation, but did do a deep sea fishing trip out of Orange Beach. This is Drew and his girlfriend, Camille...


and this is Camille's sad face when the guide told her she couldn't keep her triggerfish because it wasn't big enough.


I love that you can tell these are brothers, and not just by their haircuts and faces. I took them to Academy to get fishing shirts, and they chose the same style.


Here's the entire haul - yum!


Also, Lucas turned 15 and wanted to take friends to Owa, so there he is just above the camera with legs flying around. I loved that place, but wait for the trees to mature or the weather to cool off one, because it is HOT! Nobody passed out, though, and the rides rival Six Flags over Georgia.


And now, the piece de resistance! This is the Silken Straw Summer Sweater that I found yarn for last year during our Grand Canyon trip when we stopped in Flagstaff at a fiber festival. It took me 5 months to do it, but I finished it this weekend. Let's have a look...what a beautiful fabric it makes!


But a wee bit snugger than I was hoping for. Oh well, everybody on Ravelry says it grows, so I'm optimistic.


Well yessiree, they were right! Ignore the mad face, I just make that a lot now that I'm 50. I do wish it wasn't that long, but I'll make it work with better bottoms...because Lucas said it looked "bad" with these pants.


So here's the unblocked neckline, and I visited Heidi at Mobile Yarn because it said to line the neck and arms with I-cord, but I couldn't do it, so she showed me a crab stitch, which is single crochet going backwards (to the right). That finishes it neatly and keeps the opening from growing like the length does.


And here's that after blocking - what a difference!


So yeah, it perfectly matches Dean's most-hated pair of pants I own, so I'll wear these out to dinner with the ladies at some point.


And it's perfect with my CVS leggings! Now to find some leggings I can wear with it in public, since I stopped in Target tonight to get an appropriate camisole, as it is indeed see-through. And I have to be more careful with my blocking, as one side sags more than the other to the point that it looks asymmetric on purpose.


We break for an artistic potato chip dropped in the sand during Dean's birthday beach cookout at Fort McRae near Pensacola.


And these are 7 of those ugly dolls that my MIL made in 2 weeks - yes, mine took me a month, and she made 7 in 2 weeks.


Okay, if you're still here, then I'll tell you about my mission from God. I had a patient who was waiting in the hospital almost 3 months for a heart transplant, and her mom said she could use a smile. I immediately thought about Lucas's videos, but they're a little violent, so I figured we could make a happy video instead, which also would mean starting a new YouTube channel to put it on. I asked for her favorite song, and enlisted Lucas to film my office staff dancing to it (Bruno Mars 24K Magic, if you can believe that). We did it in one take with no prior planning, and only one person knew the words, so that was rough, but I was happy with our effort. The evening after we filmed it I had to drive across the Bayway to go to a work function, and I got this sudden feeling that my patient wasn't going to make it. I mean I even started crying, but then it occurred to me that other kids might be stuck in the hospital and might like to see their own doctors dancing and being silly. This whole plan unfolded over the next 30 minutes or so, and I realized we could even film dances to encourage sedentary kids to get up and dance while they're watching the videos on their phones, and the patients could even request certain songs or doctors, etc.

So that was a very weird thing, but I texted Lucas that I'd pay him extra to get the thing edited and uploaded before he went to bed so I could send it to my patient's mom that night. The next day at 10 AM, a doctor from the hospital called to tell me my patient's heart stopped, but they were working on her. That's when I knew that God put that whole plan in my head. She ended up living with the help of machines for another week before she died. And that's all I have to say about that.

So we've made 4 videos with a 5th one due out next week, and this is the biggest one so far that we filmed at the hospital. Pretty good work for a 15-year-old with an iPhone camera, I think, and his editing is superb! Feel free to share it with anybody who could use a smile.

10 comments:

Michelle J Lee said...

Love the coral color of the top. And your Happy dance video is AWESOME!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Thanks, Michelle!

Anonymous said...

I laughed and snorted my coffee!!! Love it! Indeed, God was talking to you and you, smart lady, listened and OBEYED!!!(that's usually the hard part). Kudos to Lucas for a fine job.

Loved the top and the fish looked wonderful. What time is dinner???

Robbie

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Thanks, Robbie! Now it occurs to me that my top will match your newest AC top, won't it? We may have to wear those next time we get together for lunch. Last week I wore my white AC top that's airbrushed with silver flowers, and the resident wore a rather funky white lacy skirt, and a patient's (young) mother asked us, "Is it dress-up day, or do y'all just wear whatever you want?" I have no idea what that means, but it didn't sound complimentary the way she said it!

Anonymous said...

I"m sure you've thought of this, but your PT folks might have some suggestions for some basic "moves" to incorporate in your videos.

Maybe to her silver + lace = dressed up

Robbie

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Ooh - brilliant - PT moves! Why didn't I think of that?! And apparently it's Child Obesity Month according to the Mobile County Medical Society - who knew? I sense my mission growing....

Ann Made Studio said...

Oh my, your video is amazing!! You are very thoughtful and kind to do this for your patients:)

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Aw, thanks Ann!!!

buy youtube subscribers said...

Your article has proven useful to me. It’s very informative and you are obviously very knowledgeable in this area. You have opened my eyes to varying views on this topic with interesting and solid content.

On the supplements said...

Thanks for the info. And a response from you. car dealers hips san jose