Sunday, April 2, 2017

Spring Update

Helloooo! Been a little busy lately, how 'bout you? I've still been knitting, but I also just got back from a meeting in Portland, OR, and have been giving lots of lectures, etc. Let's have a look. I just like this picture of Lucas and Jake sharing a moment on the porch.


This is a pack of striped cotton yarn I got to make dishcloths - I really should think of something else to make with this stuff, or else I'll have to open an Etsy store to sell them!


This is a few of the hats my MIL and her friends have been making for our NICU babies...


and just a couple of the blankets. These ladies are so creative with the colors and patterns - they freehand these things!


So last weekend Dean and I ran the Azalea Train Run 10K, and I shaved a minute or two off my time. Did a 11:47 minute mile - woohoo! I took a couple of pics just because this is the only downhill portion, and you can see I'm behind hundreds of people way off in the distance.


And the Azalea Trail Maids are scattered along the course - very nice.


Here's a washcloth I made for Drew's girlfriend.


And now for my Portland trip! Here's a beautiful sunset from the plane.


This is the view from a tram that takes you from the river up to OHSU Medical Center with the VA and the Children's Hospital - cool!


Can you imagine having a hospital room overlooking this view? If your bed is aimed that way, I guess, and you're well enough to care.


This is the longest covered walkway in the country, reportedly, connecting the main hospital to the VA - and that's a gigantic VA!


On the way back home, I walked through the Atlanta airport's concourse connector instead of taking the train and was rewarded not only with the history of Atlanta, but this rainforest, complete with chirping birds and dripping water!


They even have video screens simulating the sky and birds flying overhead periodically. I love this!!!


And finally, this was the opening session of my meeting. The president was surprised by a flash mob. And the dinner on the last night was accompanied by a live band and a huge dance floor where about 100 attendees tore it up - I have found my people!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun was had! I think the yarn is too pretty for dishcloths. It would make cute granny squares, but then you would have to do something with them.

Robbie

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

You're right - I bought that yarn because they showed a cute spread of spa slippers and rugs in the photo, and Drew's girlfriend said hers was too pretty to use! Have to keep brainstorming....in the meantime, I'm on my 5th for my SIL and just got my MIL's preferred color to do a 6th!

Junior said...

I love my dishcloth!! Sweet pic of Lucas and Jake. Y'all know how to throw down at those conferences!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Lucas said his washcloth is too thick to wring out well, but it's a crochet pattern that I wasn't fond of - is yours wringing out okay? That was an awesome conference - maybe we'll sneak you in next time!

Junior said...

Mine is wringing out fine.....washing dishes is a pleasure! 👍

BeckyW said...

Sorry, I've not commented. I read your post probably the day after you wrote it, but am just getting back. We've been busy like everyone this time of year. Bart ran the Azalea Trail 10K this year. Sam did not run with him. Bart is obsessed with running right now, Sam not so much. Sam has taken up tennis though, which is great. He is playing on the school team. He is doing fairly well considering that he took it up in January. I've been trying to talk him into playing for years, but it took his buddies to do it.

I love your photo of Lucas and Jake. Nice moment. Our 10YO sheltie Sparky has been in the vet the last couple of days. He has pancreatitis. We have no idea why. He is somewhat better so he is coming home tonight. I hope he is trough the worst of it and there is not something more serious that has caused it.

I love your dishcloths! It does seem a shame to use that beautiful yarn for dishes, but I guess that it would make the necessary chore better. I like the stitch that you used to crochet it.

Your MIL and her friends sure have been busy. Those are super cute. I'm sure some new parents will be tickled with the gift.

I have having a ball with the sloper class at all about sewing. We actually made that moulage work! It is amazing. I made a first "shell" blouse and it turned out to fit really well. It needs a little tweaking in terms of how I did the dart. I am learning so much. It is very cool. I think the problem with mine not working out the day that we worked on them was being a little bit off in the measuring from the armpit to the waist.
We were actually pretty close. I'm not sure what we are going to be working on next. She is talking about doing a skirt sloper class. I am determined to learn how to make patterns from this.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Oh - I'm jealous you get to go to the sloper classes!!! Apparently work has taken over my life and I haven't sewn anything in a long time. I was just thinking it's about time for another girls' weekend so I can take a break and maybe airbrush something creative.

Good luck to Sparky with his pancreatitis - he needs to lay off the alcohol! And good luck to Sam with the tennis - doesn't that kill you that you've been playing for years and he just now took it up? That made me think of my intense desire to go camping the past few months. Nobody here is interested, so I emailed Drew to see if he was free this weekend to go to Chewacla State Park, and offered to pay for sites if his friends wanted to come, etc. He never responded at all, so I just camped in the backyard my DAMN self last Saturday night while Dean and Lucas were out of town! So then I go to Auburn for work Monday and take Drew and some friends out to dinner, and guess what they're doing Friday night - going camping at Chewacla!!!! I guess it's just not cool when your Mom suggests something.

Anonymous said...

Still laughing about your "camping" trip! Becky, the sloper classes sound like fun.

Robbie