Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Running and cooking

It finally hit me that Drew is an adult when he signed up for a Spartan race in Atlanta and went there with his girlfriend a couple of weekends ago. Got himself up and left at 7 in the morning, did all the checking in, then ran that thing over 2.5 hours all by himself. Camille was there to cheer him on and take pictures, but this is the only one I got. God bless him!


Meanwhile, Dean and I forced Lucas, uh, I mean joined Lucas for a 5K that same day, and he dropped his time from the previous 58 minutes to a very respectable 37 minutes - woohoo! Now we couldn't convince him to join us for O'Daly's Green Dress Run downtown, so we went by ourselves. They take the Green Dress part very seriously, and if you look just to the right of center, you'll see a lady wearing a green tutu...who has also pained her entire body green, down to her eyelids. Now that's commitment....or needs commitment - ha!


Here's the starting line - note all manner of wigs and a man in a dress way behind me.


And these young ladies were running in dresses, but they walked through their beer breaks. Yes, people were running with drinks in hand. Dean saw a group running with Fireball shots...which was probably necessary to stay hydrated, as there was not a single water station until you crossed the finish line!


Okay, now next weekend is the Azalea Trail Run 10K, and I will attempt to do this while on call, so we'll let you know how that goes. Now to segue to something my sister told me about - Birchbox. For $10 a month, you get 5 samples of beauty products in a beautiful box worthy or re-gifting.


Ooh, this month I got 6 things! They were dry shampoo, regular shampoo, conditioner, 2 eyeshadows, facial cleanser, and a facial mask. Last month I got samples of lotion, foaming face wash, lipstick, hair serum, and something else I forgot. Love this little club, and it makes for great travel-size toiletries. Thanks, Sister!


Another thing I discovered is that there's a lady in Publix who cooks a new dinner every week, and you can taste it, then buy all the ingredients right there next to her booth, and get a free recipe card - who knew?! So I made a delicious cranberry-walnut salad with lemon vinaigrette dressing....


and pork tenderloin with dill yogurt sauce - shoot, I forgot to get a shot of that, it made it look a lot yummier.


So what have you been doing lately? Cooking anything new? Exercising? And yes, I wrote this post instead of going running like I should have...dangit! .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sitting here laughing because you just discovered the "Aprons" booth at Publix. They have some really good stuff! Love the green! and yes, Drew is all grown up. I think I realized that Laurie was a grown up when she was the high school swim coach. She was taking all these high school teenagers to swim meets and she was the adult in charge! Scary!

Robbie, who just posted a snarky comment about Spring Breakers and their trash on the WKRG website. If I'm dead in the morning, you'll know who did it.

BeckyW said...

I'm so proud of all your running. You make it look fun.

Always glad to read good things about first year college students! We still don't have a college decision yet. Lots of anxiety about that here.

I've played at sewing a bit this last week. I muslined a shirtdress. It would fit 1996 me, not 2016 me. Back to the drawing board. Next up is to hem Jessica's prom dress for this weekend. And, no, I did not sew it. I bought it. I'm not looking forward to hemming all that. I'm terrified of cutting it too short.

Robbie: I'm sure you are in good company on making snarky comments about Spring Break litterers (that's not a word?). I hear it is awful. Besides, I'm sure they are too drunk to do you harm.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Robbie, I've been thinking about you! I'll pray for you too - keep your head down and your blinds closed!

Becky, hemming is my least favorite thing to do in the world, so I'll pray for you too, and good luck on that college thing - everything will work out eventually!

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the college decision. It will work out. AND I don't like to hem, either.

Robbie