Saturday, October 3, 2015

Mojo Missing...Story at 11

Well, I had it, then it was gone. I basted up some pants after tissue-fitting my Palmer/Pletsch pattern using the Craftsy class, and I still had some wrinkles, so I lost interest. I had an extra pattern, so I decided to start over from scratch, but couldn't face it just yet, so I threw the pants under the machine and took up the side seams a huge amount, which ended up making a decent pair of pants. If I can get back up there and throw a waistband on them, they'll actually be wearable - invisible zipper's already installed in the back! I just hate fiddling with patterns and rulers and measuring - bleh.

In the interim, I finished the neckband on the AC dress I started in the summer with Robbie - remember all that airbrushing? Well here's how THAT ended up...oh, it's precious!


The back is a little awkward despite my swayback adjustment....


And I THOUGHT I was standing up straight with the gut sucked in, but I look amazingly frumpy! I honestly just think I'm not meant to wear certain styles of dresses....or it needs a belt....or the length is wrong...I have no idea why it doesn't look good. It's only one layer of fabric, so that could be it - my Mardi Gras dress was 2 layers and thicker...and full-length....and beaded.


Here's some of the stitching I started on it..


then decided maybe I should take it out and leave it unembellished...whatcha think? So after THAT letdown, I got sidetracked by this Jalie pattern, and decided to make some running pants!

So after watching 2 Project Runways in a row, I made it to Joann's to get this nylon lycra:


The black is the main fabric, polka dots for the back, and purple for the calf. It's in the washer now, but my serger is at the shop, so I don't know how far I'll get. Hopefully at least cutting it out!

And here's something funny. The other morning I kept hearing something hit the window, so I thought the crazy cardinal was back that used to divebomb us all the time. I checked 3 times and never saw anything till the 4th time - imagine my surprise!


And he had a buddy in the bush, who was apparently daring him to steal our Honey Bunches of Oats.


OHHH - and I did wear my AC couched skirt to a big cancer benefit downtown (everybody was wearing wild stuff, so no comments were made), where the Prancing Elites were performing! Have you heard of them? We only got to see a little dancing, which was quite professional, and everybody had to sign waivers because they're filming a reality show for Oxygen - cool!

Alright, the washer's done, so let's see if I can do some sewing tonight...

6 comments:

Sheila said...

You did a fabulous job on the dress and I think all that is needed is a slip under the dress and you will be fine. I looooooooooove the Prancing Elites. I watched their show until it ended. They are a hoot !

Sheila said...

You did a fabulous job on the dress and I think all that is needed is a slip under the dress and you will be fine. I looooooooooove the Prancing Elites. I watched their show until it ended. They are a hoot !

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Thanks, Sheila - I definitely get lazy down here in this heat and can't remember the last time I wore a slip, but this one sure needs it!

Ann Made Studio said...

You are a busy lady with your sewing projects.
Your dress is really pretty. I keep saying this but I really need to sew something using this technique.
I love it!!!
Don't give up on fitting your pants. In my drafting class, I made at least 5 muslins and that was using my measurements
with a made for me drafted pattern!!!! The back/front leg wrinkling issue nearly drove me crazy :)
Do you watch Peggy Sagers videos.(have I mentioned these to you before? I may be repeating myself :}
http://www.silhouettepatterns.com/html/media/livestreamchannel/index_replays.htm
Also do you have Sarah Veblens book? It is A fantastic book.
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Photo-Guide-Perfect-Fitting/dp/1589236084

Ann Made Studio said...

Oh I forgot to comment on the Jalie pattern.
That is one that I am working on too.
Making some for me,my daughter and my sons girlfriend.
It's a fan favorite here. I look forward to seeing yours made up.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

You know, Ann, we may have had this conversation before, because I did watch Peggy's pants video (watched one of them live and even asked a question!), and I DO have that book! I remember having this pain with my last pair of pants, and I think you gave me those suggestions - I love that book, by the way! I'm sure I'll get it worked out, it's just been a couple of years since I made pants. And I cut out the Jalie, but my regular machine made the waistband less stretchy, and I'm building up the nerve to set up the coverstitch. I may have to wait till I get my serger back this week. I'd love to see your versions of these pants - I didn't mean to be so flamboyant with my fabric, but there was a very limited supply at Joann.