Monday, November 24, 2014

My First 5K!

Well, I wish I could talk about the knitting projects I started this weekend, but they're gifts, so no peeky! Let's just say I have 3 projects on needles - one is the shrug I need to finish for myself, and 2 are gifts. By the way, have you ever knit with size 15 needles? I couldn't find circular ones, so I had to buy the metal sticks, and those come in extra short or extra long - weird! But since I can't talk about that, let's talk about my first 5K!


So I downloaded the C25K app from iTunes (it stands for "couch to 5K"), which Dean and I have been using it since August. And buddy, I can run 28 minutes without stopping! Now at the Airbus 5K on the Runway, I did stop every so often for a short walk break of 30-60 seconds, and I was not totally exhausted at the end, so that was nice.


It was also cool to run on an actual runway, and they had vintage planes parked on the side. At the end of the runway, you turned into the assembly line area and ran between hangars, then when I crossed the finish line they actually flew some vintage planes overhead (just for me, I know it).


Now Dean and Drew are old hats at running with dangerous, muddy obstacles, so they found this kind of boring, but I was delighted that my official 5K time was 36:30. And if you do the math, out of almost 700 people, I came in at 58% - not bad for somebody who used to get short of breath and a stitch in her side in PE, followed by vomiting and dizziness with any amount of heat. You go, my body! (Would you believe that the overall female winner was an 8-year-old girl who came in at 23 minutes? And she had run in another 5K at 8 that morning? With a time of 22 minutes? Some people are so obsessed...)

11 comments:

Junior said...

You go! You earned that banana!

Pam said...

Congratulations! What an achievement! So impressive!!

I've just finished the Craftsy Bra Making class -- I can't wait to start the actual process.

Ann Made Studio said...

Wow that is a pretty awesome course. Very interesting. Go you 😄 great job!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Best banana I ever ate!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Thanks Pam - can't wait to hear about this bra class and your results!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Thanks Ann!

BeckyW said...

Way to go!! Impressive!!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Thanks Becky! Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

You go girl!!!! Proud of you! Do you feel better since you've started the exercise program?? Pam I would be interested in hearing more about the Bra class results, as well.

Robbie

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Thanks, Robbie - I do feel very healthy! Haven't dropped any weight though....

Anonymous said...

I bet your shape has changed,,,,

Robbie