Sunday, February 4, 2018

Saved by the Cowl!

So remember in the last post how frumpy my London top was?



Adding a cowl just makes it look more finished and balanced, I think. The neckline needed at least some type of collar, so I went through my patterns and found the Silhouettes Ann Top had the perfect one. I actually tried to make that top out of white slinky fabric and the armscyes didn't look good, so it's been sitting in a drawer for years waiting to be redone. I dug out the pattern piece and it worked! I was going to trim down the A-line at the bottom, but I'm afraid it'll be too clingy and tight.


These are the leggings with some new boots I finally found that are thin enough for my stick ankles.


Now these are some leggings like hose, and I've decided they can't be worn to work, and probably not even out to eat!


Maybe if I made a tunic even longer and more like a dress, then I'd be comfortable wearing them.


And of course it's Mardi Gras time again, and I wanted to wear the one-shoulder column McCall's dress, but the fabric is just falling apart on me. This seam came undone from the serging, so I went back with a regular stitch last year, and this is what I saw when I pulled it out of the drawer today.


You can see all the stitches I've thrown in there, and the fabric is just unravelling. Any ideas? I thought about FrayCheck, but I don't know. There's another seam that's doing the same thing - so sad.


Okay, and so far, Tide is my big winner in Super Bowl ads, mostly because I love David Harbour from Stranger Things.


Okay, off to edit the most recent Dr. Fun video, which Lucas agreed to do since one of his friends is in it. He shadowed me in clinic over the Christmas holiday and had no idea what he was really getting into! What was your favorite Super Bowl ad?

6 comments:

BeckyW said...

The cowl is perfect! Maybe you can find some slim black pants so that you’re able to wear that to work. It’s really adorable.

I’m not quite sure what to tell you about the Mardi Gras dress. Some fabrics don’t hold up to serging that well. When my daughter was little, I loved to make her little skirts from those Chinese brocades. They really did not like to be serged. I never really figured a good way to repair them after they started fraying.

My favorite Super Bowl commercial was the dirty dancing one. I don’t remember what company it was for. I guess it wasn’t that great of a commercial if I can’t remember the sponsor.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

I can see brocade doing that. And the dirty dancing one was for Papa John's Pizza with Eli Manning, I guess - loved that one, especially when they're trying to do the little moves Patrick Swayze did with his hips - hilarious!

Pam said...

I liked the shirt before too -- it was more "yoga workout" but now with the cowl -- it's so polished -- love it!

I'm not sure about what to do about the brocade --- let me think about that!!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Oh - I see the yoga top thing now! And I think the dress is lost unless I take the whole seam up a taper it into the rest, which'll make it hang a bit odd.....

RobbieK said...

The cowl looks terrific! It balances the top and the bottom. I think it looks great with the leggings. You could try black flats with it, too.

Why don't you treat yourself to a new dress? It's a little late this year maybe, but look for some fabric while you are in NOLA.

MoBay was very relaxing and I met 8 people from Nashville. Small World.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Thanks, Robbie! I wore it to work Friday with some slim black pants and felt okay, but I still may go trim down the side seams at the hips - feels like I'm wearing a tent. I did get one compliment on the color - ha!

I wore the AC dress, but I sure did think about a new one. I'd really like to do another special event dress of hers, but I'm working on the swing skirt right now. I kind of miss beading something! What do you have going now - the orange fabric?

Glad you had a fun time on vacation - wasn't it some miserable weather to come back to? Did you read or sew while you sipped your drink?!