Friday, January 19, 2018

Fashion Advice

Okay, before we went to London I requested a Front Door Fashion mini-box, since I was on call a lot and didn't have time to shop for myself, what with outfitting everybody here with winter clothes. These were 3 outfits that I loved, plus I got a waterproof jacket in black camo that got lots of comments. This first one wasn't actually worn, but WILL be when the weather warms up a bit here.


I wore this red sweater twice in London, and did pair it with socks and boots from the 3rd picture.


And this is probably my favorite, with a crazy hi-lo that's very exaggerated. I wore this twice too, and actually wore those 15-year-old boots out, so they've been retired.


So I think all those look great, and I decided to make a tunic out of my London fabric to go with these leggings that have to be covered up. Ta-da - I'm frumpalicious!


Now what exactly is the problem? Is it too big at the bottom? I initially was disappointed in the neck, so am looking into adding a cowl or some type of collar or something, and this post was actually going to be about that, but then I saw the pictures and realized I've screwed something up! Now this is Burda 3197, and here's my first shirt with it from 2010:


Wonderful fit! So apparently it's the tunic length that's doing me in, but then why do the sweaters look good and this doesn't? I think it has to do with the neck and shoulders being wider than my hips in the sweaters. So I tried adding a scarf to see if it would help.


Um, I guess a little bit. Then I figured maybe there's too much real estate below the waist, so I tried to replicate a hi-lo hem. (Recognize my scarflet, Robbie?)


Hmmm, I'm just not feeling it for some reason. What do you think? I need to be featured on a What Not to Wear or something - feel free to submit my pictures! And please let me know what it is that's off, so I can redo this top!

5 comments:

BeckyW said...

I just read your post and popped over to Facebook for a minute while I thought about your blue top. Almost immediately I saw an ad for Zulily for a blouse that looked almost exactly like yours. There was a running video on Facebook that showed the blouse in every color. Theit’s has pockets which I’m thinking would add a little weight and keep it from flaring out as much. They also styled each color with a different long necklace. That might draw the eye.
https://www.zulily.com/p/purple-pocket-three-quarter-sleeve-swing-tunic-plus-too-275240-54279317.html?pos=0&fromEvent=275240

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Aha - right you are! Interestingly, I can't look at the shirt without entering my email address, which I refused to do, but I can still see most of the shirt on the computer, though not my phone. Shame on Zulily! But you're right - their's is even more flared at the bottom but the pockets are interesting. I may try adding a cowl neck onto it with my extra fabric and trimming it in like Robbie suggested. I'll update pics once I get that done. (Didn't check out the price on Zulilly....)

RobbieK said...

When sites like that want my email address, I usually just make one up.

Junior said...

Oh, I love that hi-lo sweater! Very cool! And I like the top with the scarf as opposed to without it.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Thank you, Sister! I'm going to slim the bottom of the top down and see what happens, might also add a cowl experimentally....