Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Funny Mardi Gras Dress Story

I bought this beautiful baby pink dress to wear to Mardi Gras back in 2001 (this was 1 of the 4 I've worn over 12 or so years). It poofed out at the bottom but was very fitted at the bodice with tiny beaded straps to hold it up - I felt like Cinderella (yeah, an old Cinderella, but it was my dream dress). At the first event I wore it to, Dean and I were walking around when I felt a sudden gust of wind over my right chest. I glance down and see my bra and torso...not what I was expecting to see, really.

It turns out I stepped on the bottom of the dress and it ripped the tiny strap, which it turns out is made of fishing line with beads on it. So the beads are pouring onto the floor while I stand there with half my chest exposed. I calmly pull the bodice back up, then have to walk around (well, not much walking after that - mostly sitting, and certainly no more dancing) the rest of the night holding the fishing line from the back right part of the dress over my right shoulder. It looks like I'm doing a reverse Pledge of Allegiance.

Somehow I made it through that night and took the dress to be repaired. Then I stupidly wore it again to another Mardi Gras a couple of years later. You guessed it - I stepped on it again and ripped the strap - again with the pouring beads and exposed fake boobage. I learned my lesson finally - that dress is hanging in the closet, broken fishing line and all, which is part of why I'm making my own this year.

No comments: