Monday, September 5, 2011

So I've been lacking mojo, but Dean has not. He finished the tree house last week and it's seeing plenty of use....when there's not a tropical storm around, that is.


Lucas has already hauled up a wrought iron chair and built a pulley system to bring up stuff.


And I did get a little mojo back at the beach - something about that little room with a huge window to watch the storm. I actually ripped the upside down zipper out of the pants muslin I started...only to find that it was a zipper for a purse or something. It's a non-separating zipper! Oh well. I got the waistband cut out, interfaced, and sewn as far as I could without the zipper in. So maybe when I sign off here I'll head upstairs to work on those. Oh, and I hit the Hancock Simplicity sale to get a couple of patterns - this is one of them.


Anybody made this one yet? I didn't see any of your reviews on PR, but it was a 2010 Best Pattern and I only checked the first page of reviews.

Okay, sorry sewists, I'm now going on one of those mind-bending jaunts that my sister (Junior) said made her dizzy last week. Siblings, stick with me here. This weekend we saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Pure awesome. It was an entertaining movie (the guy who played Malfoy showed up!), but afterward Drew helped me put a lot of things together - like they mentioned a manned mission to Mars and that they lost contact with the spaceship. That buzzed right over my head (I thought, oh, they're showing us they're in the future). Well THOSE were the astronauts who find themselves on the "strange planet" in the original movie! Brilliant! And the altered virus that makes the apes smart actually kills humans, and they show the beginnings of that at the end of this movie - don't walk out during the credits or you'll miss it. So now we see how we ended up in the original mess - thank you for making it accurate, screenplay writer!

On the ride home I got to thinking about the movies I loved in the 70's, and I remember lying in the floor of our den with my dad watching what must have been the Apes TV series, or maybe they showed the movie on TV.


Then I thought about how this new movie is actually a prequel, like they did with Star Wars. You go 70's movies - you're like bell-bottom pants.  Give it enough time and you'll come back again!

Then I thought about I Am Legend with Will Smith (love this movie, and while I'm on Will Smith - have you seen his best movie called Seven Pounds?  Get that movie tonight if you can.  But I digress.)...


which is not a prequel, but is a remake of Omega Man, another one of my favorite movies from the 70's.  Wait a minute...did you say...


Did your brain just make the connection? Do you get it? Charlton Heston was in Planet of the Apes AND Omega Man!  (Are fireworks exploding in your head like they did in mine?  Did your world just turn upside down like mind did?)

Now what did I just prove? Anything? Maybe just that Mad Cow is a bitch to live with.  But the Dr. Fun family WILL be watching the 1968 Planet of the Apes tonight (pity my children).


2 comments:

Junior said...

We've got the original Planet of the Apes movie coming from Netflix soon! Gotta see that first I guess. I Am Legend scared me so bad that I can't even look at the picture you posted from it. The treehouse looks awesome! Is Lucas going to put a window box there?

Pam said...

Exciting about the treehouse; we loved ours as a kid and yours is about as cute as it comes. I think the dress will work out well with the princess seaming.

Yes, we want to see the Prequel to Planet of the Apes - I'm going to see if we can make it!